Conferral of Academic Titles

Conferral of Academic Titles

In 2004 the University limited the use of honorary academic titles to either "Conjoint" or "Visitor". Following a review, the University has now revised its policy and procedure for the conferral of academic titles at UNSW effective from 2 November 2010.

A revised Policy on Conferring Academic Titles and Procedure for Conferring Academic Titles are available on the Governance Support Unit website:

Conferring Academic Titles Policy


Conferring Academic Titles Procedure

Specific points to note include:

  • The re-introduction of the title "adjunct" and the introduction of a separate "Honorary academic" title for retired academic staff from UNSW (or another university)
  • A table that sets out the background of the recipient of each of the conferred titles and the delegated authority for approval of each title

Applications to confer a title on existing Visiting or Conjoint appointment holders will normally be restricted to the end of the current appointment.

For further information, please contact your Human Resources Consultant.

Related Documents:
HR20 - Request to Confer an Academic Title Form - (RTF) interactive or (PDF) - interactive

Payment of travel and living expenses for visiting academics

Domestic and international visitors who are invited to observe and participate in research at UNSW, may have a financial contribution made towards the travel and living expenses associated with their visit to UNSW.