Employee Assistance Program

For confidential appointments and enquiries call Australia wide to access your nearest Davidson Trahaire Corpsych office:
1300 360 364

The Employee Assistance Program is available to full-time and part-time (continuing and fixed term) staff at UNSW, including staff from the University College (ADFA), NewSouth Global and Unisearch.

What is the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)?

Your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a professional, confidential counselling service for employees and their immediate family members, paid for by your employer. It is free to you and your family.

This service is provided by an independent company called Davidson Trahaire Corpsych. Davidson Trahaire Corpsych counsellors are all qualified, experienced professionals who have extensive training in counselling and workplace consulting.

What kind of assistance does the EAP provide?

The EAP offers short-term, solution focused counselling. The counselling discussion is informal, friendly and focussed on your needs. It can be either face to face or over the phone, whichever is more convenient for you.
Counselling can help you to:

i) clarify a problem,
ii) identify options and
iii) develop plans to approach difficult issues in a constructive manner.

After counselling, your EAP counsellor may suggest that other, further assistance may be useful. If you choose to take up a referral outside of the EAP, you are responsible for any costs. Where possible, referral is made to a service that is free, or within your capacity to pay.

What kinds of issues can the EAP help you to address?

The EAP exists to help with any personal or work-related issues including:

  • Conflict and tension
  • Pressure and Stress
  • Alcohol and Drug Problems
  • Child and Family Problems
  • Work pressure/problems
  • Emotional Stress
  • Separation/Divorces
  • Relationship Difficulties
  • Personal Trauma
  • Grief and bereavement
  • Health and lifestyle issues
  • Gambling and Addictions
  • Financial/Legal Referrals
  • Anxiety and Depression
  • Work-Family Issues

If you have any concerns about any of these issues then the EAP may be of benefit to you.

Often, the longer an issue remains unattended, the more aspects of your life are affected by it. Early help with a minor issue may prevent its development into a major one.

How do I access the EAP?

EAP appointments can be made by simply telephoning Davidson Trahaire Corpsych. Your manager/supevisor or Human Resources may suggest the use of the EAP but the decision is always voluntary.

You may use the EAP in your own time. In this case, no one will know. You may request, through your manager, to attend an initial visit in work time. If approved, you should agree on a suitable time with your manager/supervisor before confirming a time with Davidson Trahaire Corpsych. It is not necessary to divulge the nature of the problem when requesting time to attend.

How can Managers use the EAP?

On occasions, managers may wish to suggest to a staff member that they may benefit from using the EAP. There may be some employees who are in need of help or who are not performing or not coping with their work.

The decision on whether or not to attend is entirely up to the employee under these circumstances.


All EAP consultations are strictly confidential. Davidson Trahaire Corpsych does not share information about you with anyone unless authorised to do so by you in writing.

In the case of workplace issues, you may authorise your counsellor to discuss the matter with your manager or another person you nominate to help address the situation.


managerAssistTM is an EAP Advisory service that assists managers and team leaders in managing situations such as:

  • an employee with problems impacting on work performance or behaviour;
  • interpersonal conflict
  • a distressed or troubled employee
  • assisting an employee not coping with change
  • difficulties with team functioning

managerAssistTM is a resource service, providing suggestions and options. A manager/team leader accessing the service decides on appropriate action, applying relevant HR policy. The manager/team leader remains in control in managing the situation.

Counselling Service for Casual Staff

A new service has been established called "Psychological Counselling" specifically for casual employees at UNSW. This service needs to be manager or HR referred ie. the manager or HR will ring and book an appointment for the casual employee. Managers should make sure that they mention that the employee is a casual staff member and that the employee is booked under "Psychological Counselling" (rather than EAP counselling) when they call Davidson Trahaire Corpsych.

Managers do not need to sign anything or provide a credit reference when making the booking, however, they will need to give full details of where the invoice should be sent.

The fee for casual employees is the standard rate of $150/hour.

Contact Details

For confidential appointments and enquiries call Australia wide to access your nearest Davidson Trahaire office Corpsych:
1300 360 364
website: http://www.davcorp.com.au/

UNSW Contact for EAP Queries

For all other EAP queries, contact Adrianne Harris (Knowledge & Project Consultant) on telephone: 9385 3426 or email: a.harris@unsw.edu.au.