Information - Casual/Sessional Staff

In addition to the following information, you must also read and understand key policies and procedures of the University of New South Wales. Click here for further information on these now

Starting Essentials

Staff ID Card
UNSW issues ID Cards to all Students, Staff and Contractors for the purposes of Identification, Electronic Building Access, Library Borrowing, to name a few of the increasing uses.  Take your completed Staff ID Card Order Form which must be signed by your manager) and proof of identity to FM Assist (located at Level 2 Mathews Building F23) who will issue your Staff ID card.
Hours of operation   8:00am - 4:30pm   Monday to Friday
Getting Connected to UNSW IT Systems
As part of your work you may need access to UNSW IT systems. If this is the case you will need to complete the following form: OSA1 Communications Access for New Staff Members,  and return it to IT services, details are contained on the form of how you can do this in person, by internal mail or by fax.
As a Casual Academic or General Staff Member, you will need to obtain a Unipass
Unipass is the UNSW Universal Password System, for secure access to the UNSW Online Services (for example: the myUNSW portal providing access to your pay advice and other employment related information, on-line access to the library databases, remote dial-up access tot he UNSW network etc.).
To obtain your Unipass, you will need to complete the following form -OSA1 Communications Access for New Staff Members, and return it to IT services, details are contained on the form of how you can do this in person, by internal mail or by fax.If you are an AGSM staff member or a Hospital staff member you may need to complete a slightly different Communications Access Form.
If you are going to be using a PC, you will need to contact IT services (x51333) once your CU01 form has been process to arrange this.
Work Visas
 For information about Visa's to work in Australai at the University, please visit the HR Website or Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs website.

Settling In

Campus Maps
The UNSW Interactive Campus Maps provide several functions to help you find buildings, amenities and other items. Click here for further information.
Permits are available for parking on campus through E-Spot. There are different types of parking available to you including:
metered parking, casual weekly parking for staff who work three or more days per week and casual daily parking.
Click here for full details of parking at the University, including parking rules and parking maps.
This website provides you with a whole range of information relating to transport to, from and around the University including transport schedules; Security Shuttle bus information, staff travelpasses and travel tickets
UNSW@ADFA staff members should refer to the UNSW@ADFA - Travel for information.
myUNSW is the gateway to the services and information you will need as a UNSW staff member, for example viewing your payslip online. It can be accessed from any computer on the Internet anywhere in the world. To log in to myUNSW you require your Staff ID and UniPass. Visit myUNSW to log in and browse the website or find out the answers to other frequently asked questions.
Services at UNSW

Employment Information

Getting Paid
UNSW pays on a fortnightly basis directly into a nominated bank or credit union account.
Casual Professional & Technical Staff 
On appointment your Supervisor will submit a SAL 11 - Employment of Casual General Staff form together with your tax file number declaration and send to the Salaries department to action.  Once actioned you will need to enter your hours on-line via myUNSW, submit your claim to your supervisor for approval and payment will be made on the next available payday.
If you require a unipass for access please email the service desk or ring 9385-1333.
Casual Sessional Academic staff
On appointment your Supervisor will need to submit a HR 63 -  Employment of Casual Academic Sessional Staff form together with your tax file number declaration and send to the Salaries department to action. 
Your Supervisor will then submit your payment directly online via their Administrator panel on myUNSW and your payment will be paid in the next available payday.
Pay advices and Payment Summaries
Payslips are posted electronically to myUNSW, all you need is your Staff ID and Unipass.
If you require a unipass for access please email the service desk or ring 9385-1333.
If you have any queries regarding pay, please contact the Salaries department on or on 9385 1706.
As a casual staff member you will be enrolled in the Unisuper's Accumulation1 Plan when you have met the required quarterly threshold. A record of fortnightly contributions will be displayed on your payadvice. Contributions are paid on a quarterly basis to Unisuper.
Further information is available on the HR website or from the Superannuation Officer
Salary Rates
Click here to visit the HR Website for further information regarding Casual Academic and Casual General staff salary rates including rates for examination supervision.
Conditions of Employment
Casual Academic Staff  
You will be covered by the UNSW
Casual Professional Staff
You will be covered by the Leave
Casual staff are paid only for actual services rendered and payment is not made for hours not worked due to leave or Public Holidays.

Policies and Procedures

In addition to the UNSW policies and procedures that you must acknowledge that you have read and understood, there are some further procedures that are important for sessional teaching staff.
Submission of Student Results
If you are convening an entire course, then a key responsibility is the submission of final results at the end of the semester. It is important that you check the final deadline for that in each semester (if necessary, simply contact the Faculty Student Centre).

Orientation and Induction

Welcome to UNSW workshop
We would like to invite you to attend a Welcome to UNSW forum.  The aim of this workshop is to provide you with a welcome and introduction to UNSW including a tour of Kensington campus. Click here to login to myUNSWview the OSDS schedule of course dates and how to register for the next forum.
UNSW Library
The UNSW Library offers a range of services to support UNSW staff. You can locate information about these services on the library website or contact your Faculty Outreach Librarian.
Your Supervisor is responsible for your effective orientation and induction to the University whch may include assigning a mentor to help you settle in. Click here to view the Casual, Temporary and Sessional Staff Orientation Checklist for Supevisors. This will help you to identify what information you should ask about that will help you settle in quickly.
Orientation for Sessional Teaching Staff
Additional information specific for sessional teaching staff is provided by the Learning and Teaching Unit. The information in this site is intended to support sessional teaching staff in meeting the unique challenges that they may face at UNSW. It provides you with information on:
1.       Getting Started
2.       The UNSW Academic Community
3.       Learning and Teaching Support
4.       Professional Development Opportunities
5.       Evaluating your teaching
6.       Gaining recognition for your teaching
Click here to visit the site now

Faculty Specific Orientation Webpages for Casual Staff