GROW Model of Mentoring
The following GROW model can be used to develop a practical approach to the mentoring session.
The model will help you as mentor prepare for the session, and will provide a useful structure to the discussion. A number of questions have been provided at each stage of the model, however they are suggested questions only, and it is important to adapt them to your own style to ensure an effective mentoring session. Each mentoring session should work through each part of the GROW process.
The GROW mentoring model will help the mentee to identify career goals, and options to move towards their goal, and importantly to discuss what might need to change to allow this to occur.
Using the GROW Model of Mentoring
Set goals, write them down, establish what the person wants out of the session
- What do you want to achieve out of this mentoring session/ relationship?
- What are the goals you want to achieve? (Make sure the goals are SMART i.e. specific, measurable, action oriented, realistic, time limited)
- What do you hope to achieve through this goal?
- What would make this goal even more meaningful for you?
- Which of your values do you need to consider when setting this goal?
- On a scale from 1 to 10 how committed are you to this goal?
- What are the expectations of others?
- Who else needs to know about your goal? How will you inform them?
Let them tell their story, invite self assessment, what's happening, when does this happen, what effect does it have, other factors
- What is the context of the current situation?
- Tell me what is happening in regard to this goal at the moment.
- Tell me some more about that...
- What has stopped you from reaching this goal in the past?
- Do you know anyone who has achieved that goal?
- What can you learn from them?
- On a scale from 1 to 10 how severe/ serious/ urgent... is the situation?
Brainstorm options, ask - don't tell, emplower, ensure choice, how can you move towards the goal, what has worked in the past?
- What could you do as a first step?
- What else could you do?
- What would happen if you did nothing?
- What has worked for you in the past?
- How could you do more of what works for you?
- Who can support you in making this change?
- How could you redesign your work environment to support you in implementing this goal?
- What could you change or eliminate in your environment that is holding you back?
- What are the costs and benefits of this goal?
Identify specific steps and any obstacles, write action plan
- Where does this goal fit in with your personal priorities at the moment?
- What obstacles do you expect to meet? How will you overcome them?
- What steps do you need to take to achieve this?
- What are you going to do?
- How can I help you in moving forward?